Monday, March 12, 2007

SPYDEY!

OK, so this post is not about knitting either...

Up until Saturday, I drove a 1991 Toyota Corolla sedan. For the first 2 years I lived in Connecticut, the car still had Louisiana plates. So a guy I know called it "The Swamp Thing." Then one day at work I said something about how my car (which runs a lot better than it looks) gets no respect. He replied, "Yeah, it's like the Rodney Dangerfield of cars." So we've called it Rodney for about a year.

Well, Rodney the Swamp Thing has served me well over the years, but it was finally time to look for another car. For several weeks I've browsed used car inventories online. I'd been looking mainly at Honda Civics.

Saturday, for the second weekend in a row, Oscar and I went car shopping. I test-drove a couple of Civics, but I wasn't feeling too enthusiastic. Then we went to another Honda dealership. I was about to test-drive another Civic when Oscar suggested that we go to the Chrysler dealership next door and see if they had any good used Sebring convertibles. I'd rented one a few years ago and it was the coolest rental car ever.

While we were looking at other cars, Oscar spotted a 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder convertible. He and the salesman both suggested that I take a closer look and a test-drive. At first I laughed it off ("Way too much car for me! Now where are the Civics?"), but eventually I did take a closer look. And I started to fall in love with a damn car (and I don't even consider myself a "car person"). As Oscar observed, I had trouble getting excited about the other cars I'd looked at this month, but in the presence of the Spyder, I practically had to wipe the drool from my chin. We test-drove it and it really was a great car.

Well, after a lot of negotiation and a lot of paperwork, I bought the car! I even got them to let me take the car home Saturday afternoon, with the understanding that I'd return Monday to finish the paperwork.

Like I told my family: The practical side of me negotiated a good deal for a 4-year-old car with 44,000 miles, good fuel economy, and a reputation for reliability. And the crazy side of me bought a convertible with a V6.

Saturday night I woke up in a cold sweat thinking, "What have I DONE???" I hadn't bought a car in 16 years and then I run out and buy a convertible? Am I crazy?

But since then, I've gotten more comfortable with my decision. I feel like I got a good deal on a good car. And besides, it's so pretty!








By the way, yesterday's weather was nice, so Oscar and I took the new car out for a drive. We put the top down, but after a few minutes, we pulled over and put the top back up because we were freezing. Oh well -- maybe in a few weeks.

6 Comments:

Blogger anphoe said...

I am a Honda fan, Civic and CRV are always my favorites. But what a pretty and cool car you bought, I like it!! Now I am jealous... I always think Japanese cars are better than American's, I guess because I am from Hong Kong where people like everything made by Japanese :) I can't wait to see your car this Thursday. By the way, what are you going to do with your old car? my old one was 1990 Subaru Legency, and the dealership wouldn't consider a trade-in, lol :)

13/3/07 8:55 AM  
Blogger acambras said...

Rodney the Swamp Thing is still parked at my apartment. The salesman asked me about a tradein and I was the one who laughed. I wouldn't have gotten more than $100-200. So I'll probably do a private sale in a little while. Drive it every once in a while so I don't take my new car for granted. :-)

13/3/07 9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! I found your blog! And you got a new car! It's very pretty and I look forward to seeing it on Thursday. Convertibles are so much fun.

14/3/07 4:55 PM  
Blogger anphoe said...

Hi Anne, my honey is sick, and I want to stay home with him. Therefore I can't make it tonight to SnB. Don't miss me :)

15/3/07 5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

xnluklciYour new wheels are awesome!! Your pictures make it seem more 3 dimensional than just looking at it out the window does. Good Luck with it!! See you Thurs!!

18/3/07 3:34 PM  
Blogger anphoe said...

Thank you so much for the comment you left me :)
I can't make it to SnB tonight, not that I am trying to stop going, I have home work due tmorrow and tests on tomorrow and Monday. I will definitely see you next week!! Miss you guys.

29/3/07 8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home