Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Transitions

Well, a couple of transitions this past week:

* Baby Helen has started walking!

* And I have finally finished her sweater!




I'm going to send the sweater to Atlanta this week, but I'm almost afraid to let it out of my sight and entrust it to UPS, FedEx, or the postal service. But I want Baby Helen to be able to wear it before she outgrows it! I will ask her mommy to take photos of her modeling the sweater with one of her pretty little dresses.

Taking a cue from CostumeChick, here are the stats:

PATTERN: "Cardigan with lace edging," by Debbie Bliss. I found this in a great book at the library -- I think it's called "Bright Knits for Kids" (even though the sweater I knitted was in white, as commissioned by Helen's mommy). The pattern calls for a shawl collar, but I didn't want to detract from the smocking detail on some of Helen's dresses, so I modified the collar & button band, and finished it all off with a single crochet edge (thanks again to CostumeChick, who taught me how to make buttonholes with a backward loop cast-on AND REtaught me how to single crochet!)
NEEDLES: #3 for most of the sweater, #2 for the knitted lace trim that was sewn on later. Don't ask what brand -- it's whatever metal circs I found at JoAnn.
YARN: Svale by Dalegarn of Norway -- 50% cotton, 40% viscose, & 10% silk -- bought at Yarn Garden's 41%-off Super Bowl XLI sale (yes, it's been that long since I bought the yarn).


And what's on the needles now? A blanket for the daughter of my friends Jen and Adam, due to arrive in early August. More photos to come!

6 Comments:

Blogger anphoe said...

Very cute sweater! I am sure it will brighten up Baby Helen. I can't wait to see her pictures!!

25/7/07 1:18 AM  
Blogger KnelleyBelley said...

Woohoo! You finished it! It's absolutely beautiful. I'll look forward to pictures. Hopefully, Baby Helen will steer clear of grape juice!

25/7/07 1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater is gorgeous! I am very impressed.

25/7/07 10:33 AM  
Blogger mad knitter said...

This picture does not do the sweater justice...it is pretty here, but so beautiful in person! I'm so glad I got to see it before it got shipped off! You did a really nice job on this. Baby Helen and her family will love it!

27/7/07 10:22 AM  
Blogger WifeMomKnitter said...

I agree with Kelly. Baby Helen's sweater was gorgeous in person. Thank you for bring it last night for Show and Tell. I finally saw the little darling. She is absolutely adorable!

27/7/07 6:16 PM  
Blogger costumechick said...

Awwww.
I can't wait for the modeled pics! COngrats on finishing!
You are making quick progress on the next blanket too!

30/7/07 10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home